Thursday, January 17, 2008

Second Entry

I believe that I can learn to write well because I have confidence in my abilities. With practice and more attention, I think my writing can improve even more. I criticize my writing too much because it is hard to write something and not reread it multiple times with differing opinions. After reading Ballenger's idea of suspended judgment I thought that no one would believe what he was saying. There was no way I could write a paper and not worry about what grade I would get, but when we began doing exercises in class, I could see what he meant. I am slowly beginning to get more confident with my abilities to just write. I agree with Ballenger's statement that "the most important thing that influences a writer's growth is believing he or she can learn to write well". I think that by boosting your confidence in writing, you will feel more motivated to write without worrying who will criticize your work. Like Ballegener points out in ch. 1, by not criticizing the way you write when you do an assignment, your belief in your abilities as a writer will begin to get stronger. With that belief, your skills will begin to improve. By focusing more on what you have to say, instead of how many mistakes you make, you will be able to realize your stronger points. Finding out your better points of writing will allow you to find and develop some of your lesser skills as well. By finding your flaws, you have the chance to enhance your writing altogether. I think that Ballenger does want anyone to limit his or her abilities because they are afraid of criticism from others, as well as themselves. Every improvement made with writing adds satisfaction and confidence to the skills and the capabilities we possess.

No comments: